Pierce Middle School Fun Run: 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pierce Middle School Fun Run: 2019

Derrion Sanders, Staff Writer

On Friday, May 24, Pierce hosted its fifth-annual Fun Run! Each year, the Fun Run is made for students to get active and socialize while raising money for the school. The goal this year was to raise $15,000 towards flexible seating, a new and comfortable seating system that would allow students to feel more calm and collaborative.

The Fun Run is an event organized for the students here at Pierce to have fun! There are three stations set up during the Fun Run, perfect for the three grades participating. This year, eighth-grade started out at the Tug-of-War station, in which different fourth-hour classes form groups of eight to go against each other. In my opinion, this station is the most fun, because students get to see the teachers go against each other. Everyone is there to support their fourth hour, and the field is filled with cheers and laughter. Once each grade has gone through the three stations, the seventh-grade winning team goes against the eighth-grade team in one final game of Tug-of-War. (Eighth-grade one this year, but they have the biggest kids!)

Field games are another station set up for students during the event. Options vary from soccer ball dribbling, hurdles, and frisbee golf, to tire rolling, baseball, and cornhole. Once students completed five different activities, they were allowed to go to the snack station and munch on popcorn and fruit snacks. There was also a DJ booth at the snack station, so students could dance, socialize, and stay hydrated.

The last station of the Fun Run was the run itself, with each grade jogging, walking, or sprinting two blocks around the school. (Staying on the sidewalk of course!) There were even prizes given to the first person to finish the run in each grade.  

Overall, the Pierce Fun Run is always greatly anticipated by the students and was another success this year.