GP South Blue Devil Dance Team try-outs!

Melissa Graff, Staff Writer

Did you know Grosse Pointe South High School has a dance team for 9th-12th graders? That’s right, and anyone who would like to join is welcome to try out.

This year, tryouts for the dance team were held on May 28th after school from 3:30 to 5:30 at South high school. To try out, dancers were required to have a completed and stamped gold card, along with a completed MHSAA physical and medical form dated on or after April 15th.  

The South Dance Team performs at football and basketball games that are hosted by South, so only home games. The style of dance is hip-hop and they prepare two dances to perform for whoever attends the home football games.

When I tried out for the team, I was pretty nervous. It was scary to perform in front of a lot of judges who are really good dancers themselves. There were four judges in total, one choreographer, Ashley Serbenta, teaching us the combination to try out with.  We had to learn the choreography on the spot and we had number tags on our shirts. If the judges wanted to see you again, your number would be called out. After we learned the combination, we would perform in groups of four. We received the results on May 29th, and I was so excited to see that I made the team! I can’t wait to start the new dance season next year, and I know it will be such a fun experience!

The GPS Blue Devil Dance Team photographed last year. “This seems very fun and looks like such a good team that I can’t wait to see on the football field.” -Stella Willburger.