GPPS will be making some changes

Back to Article
Back to Article

GPPS will be making some changes

Katie Steiner, Staff Writer

For a while now, Grosse Pointe has struggled with funding education, and it’s finally time for a change.

Throughout the years, Grosse Pointe Public Schools has had a declining amount of enrolling students. In fact, the whole state of Michigan has seen fewer and fewer kids in each school. As a result, the state sends less money towards education per pupil. Currently, there’s a local committee working to save the school district some money. Such a committee is made up of teachers, parents, and administrators.

You may be wondering: what kind of changes will be made exactly? Most plans consist of closing a few schools, shifting grade levels, and/or opening a new school. These plans would save the school district anywhere from $1-2 million each year.

So far, no schools have been named for closing, and nothing is set in stone. Changes won’t be made until the 2021 school year. Final decisions regarding the reformation will be made closer to June. All meetings are open to the public.

Since the publication of this article, more details have been released. To find out more, visit:

https://mi01000971.schoolwires.net/cms/lib/MI01000971/Centricity/Domain/2906/GPPSSBlue%20RibbonEnrollmentReconfigurationOptions013119.pdf