Pi Day at Pierce!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pi Day at Pierce!

Jane Kuhnlein, Staff Writer

For years, Pierce students and staff have been celebrating Pi Day in math classes. With plentiful pies and a contest students compete in to see how many digits of Pi they know, Pi Day, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, is, “An annual celebration of the mathematical sign pi.”

Pi Day was founded by Larry Shaw, a physicist, in 1988. In fact, Pi Day just so happens to be Albert Einstein’s birthday. Perfect coincidence! Pi Day was first celebrated in San Francisco at Shaw’s workplace. They celebrated with pies and a circular parade. Pi is crucial to math. Without Pi, we wouldn’t be able to calculate circumference of a circle. The celebration of Pi Day is hoped to spread interest in math and science all across the nation.

Pi Day celebration at Pierce are always a fun and interesting days. According to Pierce’s honors eighth-grade math teacher, Mrs. Schaupeter, Pi Day has been celebrated at Pierce for about 20 years. On average, each class brings in about eight pies each year. During the party, students don’t just eat pie. There’s an ongoing competition to try and memorize the most digits of pi. Mrs. Schaupeter says that the most digits someone has memorized of pi was 200, and it happened this year.

Happy Pi Day, Pierce!