The Importance of Reading

Katherine Steiner, Student Editor

Reading can either come as a joy or a hassle for many. Reading is an important part in strengthening the mind.  Maybe you happen to be someone who dislikes reading, or you’ll only read when forced. If so, you might want to consider the many positive effects to reading a good book.

For starters, reading helps develop the mind.  Reading can improve your focus and concentration.  When you sit down and start a book, you’re training your mind and body to relax and focus on what you’re reading.  Reading also improves your memory. In order to take in all a book has to offer (people, places, etc.) you must use the specific memory muscle in your brain. This will help your long term memory in the long run. Reading on a daily basis can help boost your fluency (the ability to read and write with speed and accuracy) which is critical in school.

Furthermore, reading can help in daily life.  Reading can help construct your imagination. Your imagination plays a large, important role in creating new ideas.   Involving yourself in a group read or a book club can even help you bond with others. To wrap up, reading a good book is one of the best ways to spend your time.  Take a break from your technology and find a book to read.

To conclude, reading is a super important aspect in not only school, but all throughout life.  Reading helps us build important skills and helps us achieve our life goals. I encourage you to go to your local library or find a good book at home.  There are more than enough books worthy of reading out there.