Students Stage Nationwide School Walkouts on Columbine Anniversary

Michael Tengler, Staff Writer

https://newsela.com/read/students-walkout-columbine-anniversary/id/42663

Friday, April 20th, 2018 marked the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting that took place in Columbine, Colorado in 1999. This shooting was done by two teens who murdered 13 people, 12 students and one teacher, and injured at least 20 more. At the time of the event, it was considered the worst of any high school shooting that had ever taken place. These two eventually pointed the guns toward themselves and committed suicide on the scene of the event.

This past Friday marked the 19th anniversary of the event, and students all over the country decided to show their sympathy for the event with a school walkout. These students started the walkout at 10 a.m. during their respective time zones, and continued it for 19 minutes, one minute for each year that has passed by since the massacre.

Although this walkout was not nearly as big as the one on March 14th, the one remembering the victims of the Parkland school shooting, it is still estimated that about 150,000 students participated at 2,700 schools across the country. As stated, this one was not as large as the Marjory Stoneman Douglas, but it was still as strong, as students spoke up and gave their opinions about gun control and gun violence.