Michigan Earns 3 Seed in NCAA Tournament

Meredith Kramer, Student Editor

Selection Sunday was coming. Michigan, the 2018 Big Ten Champions, earned an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament. With the selection around the corner, the debate surrounding the Wolverines wasn’t whether they would make the big dance or not, but whether they would get a #2 or #3 seed. Their overall resume was lower than other candidates for the 2 seed, but they had won the Big Ten Tournament the week before, and had beat three ranked teams in the last month, including #3 team in the country, Michigan State. They were arguably the hottest team in the country, but with seven losses, their Big Ten Championship may not be enough.

The committee ended up rewarding Michigan with a #3 seed. With that, they are scheduled to play the #14 seed, Montana, in the first round, in the west bracket. Montana, the Big Sky Tournament Champions, went 16-2 in tournament play. Michigan should not be scared by any means, however, as the Wolverines have won their last nine straight, including 4 wins in 4 days to win the Big Ten Tournament. Along with that, Michigan has been given the 9th best odds to win the National Championship by CBS Writer Matt Norlander.  

If Michigan were to beat Montana, they would move on to play the winner of Houston vs. San Diego State. After that, they could potentially move on to a rematch between North Carolina, a team they lost to by 15, back on November 29th. It was a bad loss, but Michigan has come so far from then, going from unranked to #7 in the nation in the latest AP Poll. Also, North Carolina has 10 losses, compared to Michigan’s 10 losses.  Overall, Michigan’s rode to the Final Four will be tough, but with the amazing nine game winning streak Michigan is riding, anything is possible.