Stephen Hawking’s Legacy

© BBC

Allison Strehlke, Staff Writer

In 1963, Stephen Hawking contracted motor neurone disease and was given two years to live. He not only exceeded two years, but lived another fifty five years. Not only lived, but thrived. Hawking can be considered one of the most brilliant men that have ever lived. After gaining his PhD in 1965 with his thesis titled ‘Properties of Expanding Universes‘, he became a research fellow 1965 then Fellow for Distinction in Science 1969 at Gonville & Caius college. In 1966 he was awarded the Adams Prize for his essay ‘Singularities and the Geometry of Space-time’. Stephen then moved on to the Institute of Astronomy in 1968, later moving back to the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics in 1973 , and published his first academic book, The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time, along with George Ellis. During the next few years, Stephen was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1974 and Sherman Fairchild Distinguished Scholar at the California Institute of Technology also in 1974. He became a Reader in Gravitational Physics at Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics in 1975, progressing to Professor of Gravitational Physics in 1977.

Stephen Hawking is now one of the most notable theoretical physicist, all while battling a disease that should have ended his life at age 21. On March 14, he died peacefully at his home in Cambridge, his family said. He may be gone, but his knowledge and brilliant physics will never leave us.    © BBC