Hawaii Missile Threat

Natalie Guerro, Staff Writer

On Saturday, January 13th an emergency “ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii” alert was sent throughout the state to its residents. Sending panic all throughout the island with people trying to take cover, Only to soon discover that the alert was a false alarm and that there were no worries. After the incident one thing still occupies all of our minds. How could a mistake like this happen in the first place?

Not only was it phones, but the alert reached radios and televisions as well, warning people to take cover. After a solid 38 minutes after the incident occured, another alert was sent out saying it was a false alarm.  A statement later that day was issued by The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (EMA) on Twitter. Confirming, the threat was indeed a false. Hawaii’s governor, David Ige’s explanation for the incident was reassuring to the people. Simply saying, ““It was a mistake made during a standard procedure at the change over a shift, and an employee pushed the wrong button,” said, Ige.

State officials announced in a news conference on Sunday, saying they are currently suspending further tests of the alert system. Until the investigation is over with. Following the incident, they have added in a two factor identification alerts to the public. Plus an automated way of notifying the public of a false alarm in case a situation just as this occurs again. In wake of this, Governor Ige announced to the public,  “Today is a day that most of us will never forget. A day when many in our community thought our worst nightmare might actually be happening”.

Hopefully, we learn from this and prepare ourselves when the day does come where we will need to be cautious of our actions, and others.