Lions vs. Vikings-Thanksgiving Day

Michael Tengler, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

On November 23rd, 2017, the Detroit Lions played the Minnesota Vikings in a huge divisional game for both teams. The Lions came in at 6-4, and the Vikings came in atop the NFC North at 8-2. With a win, the Lions would only be one game behind the Vikings, and one of the easiest schedules heading down the stretch. On the flipside, a victory for the Vikings would increase their division lead to three games, and would basically put the division out of the Lions hands.


The game got off to a rough start for the Lions, with the Vikings jumping out to an early 13-0 lead thanks to a passing and rushing touchdown from starting quarterback Case Keenum. The Lions then had to settle for a field goal in the red zone after a third down incomplete pass to tight end Darren Fells in the end zone, as it was originally called a touchdown, but then called back after further review. The Vikings then countered with another touchdown, this one a passing touchdown to Kyle Rudolph, his second of the first half. The Lions were then down 20-3 with only 37 seconds left in the half. Only a slim amount of time, Matthew Stafford, Lions quarterback, made the most of it. With a few passes, including a back-shoulder grad by Lions wide receiver Kenny Golladay to put the Lions inside the Vikings’ 40-yard line, they capped it off with a six-yard touchdown pass to Marvin Jones Jr. to make it 20-10 at halftime.


The second half started off just the same, as the Vikings got the ball first, and went right down the field, ending with a Latavius Murray rushing touchdown, once again putting the Vikings up by three possessions. After a pair of field goals by Matt Prater, the Lions closed the gap to 11, making it 27-16. Soon after, a fabulous 48-yard touchdown catch from Marvin Jones in between two defenders made it 27-23.


With the Vikings up 27-23, and only 1:15 remaining in the fourth quarter, the Vikings set up for a 25-yard field goal, looking to seal the deal. The ball was snapped, and it was blocked! Ty Lawson ran for the ball, and returned it for a touchdown! The Lions had tied the game…


Ty Lawson, a Lions cornerback celebrated for a few seconds, before being aware of the flag thrown back at the line of scrimmage. Darius Slay, a different Lions cornerback that had blocked the field goal, was offsides. This was a five yard penalty, which then gave the Vikings a first down. The clock would then run to double zeros, putting their playoff chances pretty low, as they fall three games back of the Vikings for the division lead.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email