A Strong Start: The Future For Michigan Basketball

Meredith Kramer, Staff Writer

November 20th was the start of the Michigan Men’s Basketball season. Playing a total of 4 games so far they have earned the rank of #1 in the Big Ten conference. After dominating UC Riverside on November 26th with a final score of 42-87 Michigan has a fulfilling season ahead.  

The 2017-2018 roster consists of 1 senior, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores, 6 freshman, 1 fifth year scholar and a graduate student. After the strong won over UC Riverside John Beilein stated, “That’s what I enjoy the most, seeing this growth.” Beilein has great confidence in his team and his staff. He feels like this will be a breakthrough season for Michigan Basketball.

According to Sports Illustrated by the end of the season Michigan is predicted to finish 35th overall and 6th in the Big Ten conference, also being placed as a 9 seed team in March Madness. Along with being predicted 35th overall, our defense is projected to be ranked 86th overall and our offense 16th. Considering the way Michigan has been playing, I feel we will do better than what is being projected. Many Michigan fans including the Staff our very confident and feel we will make it to the Final Four. With Arizona, Michigan St., Duke and Wichita St. are currently projected to be in the Final Four, and our chances are going to be based off how we play against those 3 teams.

As of December 2, Michigan’s record has been changed to 5-1 after suffering a loss to UNC with a final score of 86-71.  The top scorer of the UNC game was Moritz Wagner at the forward. Even though they lost, UNC did not completely dominate them. Michigan stayed in the game and had some good highlights. UNC has a history of being a good team and repeatedly beating Michigan. It was no surprise to Michigan or UNC fans when Michigan lost.

On December 2nd, Michigan played Indiana at Crisler Center Arena. The top scorer of the game was Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman with a total of 37 points. This was a very strong game for Michigan with them staying ahead the whole game. Freshman Jordan Poole made a name for himself making 5 out of 10 shots from the 3 point range against Indiana. The basketball staff for Michigan feels this strong start will only become a better season and hope to make it to the Final Four.