Swim Finals

Audrey S., Staff Writer

The Pierce Swimming and Diving Team’s final meet is coming up fast. To be exact, the prelims for this meet is March 28th and the finals are the next day, March 29th. The Pierce Swim and Dive Team has been working hard to improve and train for this very important meet. This is the most important meet of the swim season because our school verses all the other Grosse Pointe middle schools (Parcells and Brownell).  

This meet is very important to our team because every year our rival, Brownell, has beat us and we have alway come in a close second. For you non-swimmers out there, the faster you go in your event and get placed higher, the more points you earn for your team. If you would like to come and cheer on our Pierce Trojans Swim and Dive Team, the final meet is on that Wednesday, March 29th, from 5:00-8:00. Every year for a long time, Brownell has beaten Pierce in the finals and every other meet. This year all three middle schools competed in a relay meet, where the only events swam are relays. For the first time in over 10 years, our Pierce swim team finally had a victory over the reigning champs, Brownell.

Along with the swim team, there is one diver on our team, sixth grader, Liana Bocci. She said she practices at the South High School’s pool unlike the swim team that practices at Pierce. Liana said she has enjoyed diving for Pierce very much and her favorite part of the meets are “Probably competing and cheering on my friends.” Even though Lilana is the only diver, that doesn’t mean she isn’t part of our team. Liana scores our team big points sometimes which takes our team a long way.

I asked a few students about what they like about the Pierce Swim Team and why. Here are some of their answers. Isabella Gelle, eighth grade, says she likes the swim team because “It (the Pierce Swim Team) lets you get to know more people in 7th and 6th grade, and you end up making friends with them.” When it comes to Izzy’s favorite part at meets she says, “ I like to cheer or yelling at people at the meets. I am very excited for the finals meet because I enjoy the competition and representing my team. ” I asked her brother, John Gelle, who is in seventh grade the same questions. He said “It’s fun and I like it (swim team) because you get to see your school friends after school.” At meets, John says “They’re fun and can be competitive between schools and also you get to see your friends from other schools and meet new people.” He says he is excited for the finals because he thinks Pierce is gonna win and “we’re gonna have fun.” A sixth grader, Sophie Schuetze, says “I like it (swim team) because it isn’t stressful and you can hang out with your friends. My favorite parts are swimming against friends from different schools, goggle toss at practice, and donut from the coaches.” Sophie says “Yes I’m very excited. All three schools will be together, and I think we have a really good shot at beating Brownell. I am also hoping to break some records!” As you can see, the Pierce Swim Team is fun for all grades and a lot of people like it.

Come cheer on our Swim and Dive Team on Wednesday, March 29th! Everyone is invited to support you fellow Trojans. Our team has been training very much and is ready to win this major meet Wednesday. We could use your encouragement beating Parcells and Brownell! Go Pierce!